Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pancakes

I was going to make pancakes this morning. Pancakes were one of the first things I learned how to make as a kid, so they are kind of my "thing". If you've ever eaten breakfast at my house, then you've probably had my pancakes. We have them on a regular basis--usually once or twice a week. And I ALWAYS make them from scratch. That is how I learned to make them, so why change--especially if everyone likes them. So I thought I would make them this morning. A minor problem occurred though; I had no eggs and we were running low on milk. (FYI, both are common, necessary ingredients for pancakes.) Then I had an idea. A few weeks ago I was trying out a new recipe in my new birthday cookbook--Southern Living Ultimate and Easy Cookbook (Southern Living cookbooks are my absolute favorite). Anyway I can't even remember what the recipe was now, but it called for Bisquick. So I happened to have Bisquick in my cupboard this morning. I decided that I would be adventuresome and make box pancakes. So I pulled the box out and checked out the directions. I had my measuring cup in hand and was ready to add water and stir. If you make Bisquick pancakes (and I'm sure they are very good) you already know that you don't just add water and stir. You have to add: eggs & milk! This got me very curious, so I checked out the ingredients to Bisquick. Basically it is just flour, baking powder & sugar. These are the dry ingredients to pancakes. So now I am baffled as to what the benefit to having Bisquick is. I had always thought that Bisquick worked something like instant potatoes--just add water, stir, and cook. And so we didn't get to have pancakes for breakfast this morning. Everyone sat at the table eating their Cheerios listening to me babble as I tried to figure out why the world needs Bisquick.