Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Snow pants



I love snow pants! Actually I've never worn them, but aren't they awesome! I didn't always feel this way about snow pants. When Sara was entering kindergarten I got her school supply list and was excitedly making my list before I did the Walmart run for the first time as a parent of a school-aged child. I think I was more excited then Sara. Anyway, I was writing...markers, 2 packs of crayons, 2 glue sticks, 2 boxes of Kleenexes, snow pants. WAIT! What was that? Snow pants on a school list. My thought...seriously, are they really necessary?? I never wore snow pants. If long underwear and two pairs of jeans were good enough for me, my five year can certainly survive the winter without snow pants. However, I trekked to the store when fall hit and very grudgingly bought my family's first pair of snow pants. Come to find out they ban any children from playing in the snow on the playground if they don't wear snow pants. (wimps I say, wimps!) So when it snowed (which it did quite a bit in Iowa--where we lived at the time) I packed her up in them and sent her off to school. Then came the day that there was a snow day and I sent the kids out to play at home. WOW! They are the greatest invention ever. She was totally dry and stayed completely warm. And no more layer upon layer upon layer of clothing to the point that you can barely move. What a novel idea--actually being able to walk out the door when you go out to play in the winter. So from then on I've been sold on the idea of snow pants to the point that I freak out when they get in the snow without them. I'm afraid I've turned them into wimps, but I still love snow pants.

1 comment:

Sparrow Wing said...

Snow pants are one of the best inventions EVER. I totally agree. When I could no longer find snow pants when I "officially" became an adult, I went for the full snow mobile suit. Ok, so it isn't flattering, but one zipper, one full body snow suit. I don't even have to wear a coat! Too bad I don't have anywhere to put the lovely puffy, marshmallow thing here at school...