Thursday, May 1, 2008
I washed and waxed my van this afternoon. There are some things that I do that make me feel especially like an adult. Waxing the car (or van as it is in my case) is one of those things. You see when I was a kid my parents always hand washed their vehicles. Actually they still do. Anyway, after it was washed my dad would wax it. He would put the wax on and then my sister and I would have to wait for it to dry and then wipe it off. I don't know how many times I begged my dad to be the one who could put the wax on instead of taking the wax off. It just looked like a much cooler and like a much easier job. Well, now that I'm an adult I'm the one who gets to put the wax on and it is so much fun. I was right throughout my whole childhood--it is a much cooler job. And now it is my kids turn to ask over and over again if they can put the wax on. I proudly say "Nope." They just don't get it just as I didn't get it when I was a kid. They also don't get my Karate Kid impersonation when I'm "waxing on and waxing off". They just say "Why are you talking like that mom?" Definitely need to add that one to movie list for when they get older.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Well, I know that bullet points are boring, but when you have lots to communicate it is the easiest way. And it's been so crazy around here that my creative juices aren't flowing real rapidly right now. So here's the latest happenings:
- Sara peeled her first orange today. She was very proud--as she should be.
- They are having a community "cutest pet contest" to benefit a cancer organization. Ashley is working to earn the $5 entry fee for Fluffy. She's fairly certain he will win and really wants 3rd prize--a Webkin. Although when we explained to her that with the $50 cash 1st prize she could buy more than one Webkin she thought that might be okay too.
- It stopped snowing! Yep I said snow. Yesterday it snowed and sleeted on and off all day. Seriously, what is up with that?! In case you've lost track of time yesterday was April 28th! Maybe I should check with Al Gore...
- Thanks to my "girly" weekend I wore mascara and eye shadow for the first time today in a very long time. It felt good. I think I'll buy new mascara tomorrow so that I won't be tempting fate for an eye infection. If I'm really feeling my oats maybe I'll buy some eyeliner too. Maybe I can do better than the gal at the makeup counter did on Saturday. Honestly, I've seen 13 year olds do a better job.
- Our grass got mowed today for the first time this season.
- We finally discovered one thing that Nathan is afraid of-the lawnmower. Go figure--he loves the vaccuum. It could be a long summer.
- My kids are AWESOME. It took me over an hour to mow the grass and not once did I have to stop to play referee. Now they aren't perfect (all you know what broke loose when I finished mowing) but I was so proud of them. And, just for the record, they would be AWESOME whether they had been good or not. They are my kids afterall.
My husband and friends gave me a wonderful early birthday present. It was a Saturday away with some of my dear Iowa friends. We had a great time doing what girls do--eat and shop! So thanks girls for making the trip out and mega thanks to your husbands for letting you. The six of us are moms to a total of 23 kids. So it is fairly impressive that we all got together.