Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summertime

I'm always convinced that I've posted more than I really have. Maybe that's because I've started about 3 posts recently and haven't finished them. We've been in the midst of summer. I've got pictures from the last day of school which actually happened about a couple of weeks ago here, but obviously I've not gotten those shown to you yet. Here are some of our activities:

Chore time! The kids love chore time in the summer. No, I'm being serious. I didn't have their chore charts put together when school got out and they begged me until I got it done. I don't have them do many chores during the school year because there just isn't a lot of time. So I use the summer to teach them new ones and have them help around the house. This summer Ashley is learning how to do her own laundry (which will continue into the school year. Sara learned how to do hers last summer.) They are also doing the dishes, sweeping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, taking care of the trash, and dusting. Nathan, of course, is vacuuming. That's his one chore and he does it very well. The girls have also been learning how to do some cooking. Sara can make her own breakfast at this point. Her favorite--either scrambled eggs with toast or egg in a nest.

Library! We love the library in the summer. However, I'm not real fond of our library's summer reading program. So this summer I found a nice, although brief, alternative for the girls (you have to be in at least the first grade to participate). It is through Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/summerreading/). If they read 8 books they get a free one. They are already halfway done. Their current love is the American Girl series--especially the mysteries. Ashley did read How to Eat Fried Worms one day last week--that was one of my childhood favorites. I wanted them to read Where the Red Fern Grows but they weren't real excited about that when I told them that it has been one of the only books I've ever cried when I read. For some reason they don't like to cry when they read books.... Maybe I'll read it to all of them on our summer vacation.

Water, water, water! We usually like to hit the pool in the summer. We have this summer--the indoor one! What is up with the cold (for the summer) weather?! We have pulled out the sprinkler, water guns (love Dollar General!), and water balloons (not a fan of water balloons--have you ever tried knotting 30 balloons in one sitting? I still have a blister.)

2 comments:

Kim said...

I can't believe you've not taught one of them to mop!

LivingFree said...

I don't know if it ever gets hot enough in the midwest to swim! I need 90+ temps to get in the water.