Friday, July 6, 2007

Our house

Joe & I have an old house. How old you may ask? Well, I think there is documentation that it was one of the first houses built on the 8th or 9th day after the first week of creation. Okay, so maybe not that old. I think it officially dates to the 1930s. The longer I live here the older it feels. Don't get me wrong--it has been a HUGE blessing to us and its quirks are growing on me. We've had to do some--shall we say, updating to the house. The decoration style was not exactly what we would of chosen. Seriously--who would paint the entire bathroom pink including the door and the claw foot tub. I'm a girl, but it was a little much. So in the last five and a half years we have painted or wallpapered all but 3 rooms--the kitchen, the laundry room (it has wood paneling that I wanted to paint white, but Joe vetoed) and one of the bedrooms. To put this into perspective, our house has 11 rooms--4 bedrooms and 2 full baths plus a finished basement--almost 2700 sq ft. That's A LOT of paint. Our biggest project was our attic--you may remember the air compressor incident. Well, I am pleased to announce that our attic is officially finished. As is all the painting that we wanted to do. I've decided I'm not painting anything until at least a year from now. We've met one of our goals for the summer--having the inside of our house the way we want it (or will at least like it for a year.) I decided I would share some of the pictures with you of my two favorite projects to date--our attic and our bathroom. You really can't appreciate the attic if you didn't know what it looked like before Joe started on it. I tried to find a before picture and had no success so hopefully you visually minded people won't mind a written description--it had no railing (yes, somewhat dangerous with small children), the stairs were a light pine color and in horrible shape (thanks to Dad Snow for his help in fixing the stairs!!), there was just drywall boards hung, there was no trim anywhere and the floor was just sheets of plywood--well, actually I don't think it was even plywood, I think it was just old wood with some missing pieces if I remember right. Anyway, it wasn't pretty and we used it as a storage place before it became our bedroom. Enjoy the pics:
In case you are wondering, no, it is not fun stripping 90 year old stairs, but it is a good work out. I didn't want to stain them, but am glad (once again) that I listened to Joe. Don't they look great?


Yeah! We now have a railing so no one is in danger of falling 15 ft to their demise.




We hang out up here A LOT!!!


My awesome red bathroom. Joe had to convince me that it would look right. I'm so glad he did. I love it now and so does he. He really wasn't into the pink theme.


Hmmmm......maybe that fourth bedroom would look good in lavender...

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I love what you've done! And what a great feeling to have finished it all! Just heard from Kendra that she and Mom got the pleasure of spending the day with your children! I'm so glad you got some time away, and that they were able to enjoy them!

Alissa said...

WOW...I cannot believe how much you have done since I was there. It all looks AMAZING. I wish one of us had "before" pics of your attic. :)

Garden Girl said...

Very patriotic! It looks great! (from last summer even, when we got to check it out)

I'm a little partial to red bathrooms and love what you did. The wainscoting looks spot on!

Kelly said...

Breathtaking! I did know what your before attic was - WOW! I also vaguely remember your pink bathroom - EXCELLENT JOB.