Saturday, July 7, 2007

When you ache so bad you can't move...

I am sick. I don't get this sick that often, but for whatever reason it always seems to happen on a weekend. I suspected that something was up yesterday but kept trying to convince myself that it was allergies. At 2am it was very evident that it was not allergies. You don't get a 100 degree fever with allergies. You don't ache so you can't move either. Joe convinced me this morning that I needed to go to the doctor. Well, he didn't really convince me--he just made it very evident that I didn't really have a choice. I had a hard time swallowing my oatmeal because my throat hurt so bad. Now since it is Saturday my only real option was the local immediate care. I hate the local immediate care, but I decided to be proactive this morning. Since it was early, I figured I could get there right when it opened and not have to wait at all. Sounds like a good plan. Right? So I called at 7am thinking to get their answering machine. I did--and it told me that I needed to call back during office hours. Okay--so when are office hours? It didn't tell me! So I had to guess when their office opened. I tried at 8:05 & yes they were open. So, my plan was already somewhat falling apart--I should already be there! So I quickly put Nathan down for his nap, brushed my teeth (I would hate for the doctor to have to smell that!), and ran out the to car. It was 8:22 when I pulled into their parking lot. And there were already 5 cars in the parking lot. My plan was completely falling apart. So I went and checked in and sat down for the wait-a-thon. And it was that. There wasn't even anyone entertaining to watch while I sitting there--just a bunch of other sick people. I finally was called back, explained to the nurse what was going on, and then waited a little longer. The doctor came in, I explained everything to her, and she looked in my throat. "Ohhhh, wow, that is bad." Now for most people that wouldn't be good words to hear, but for me it confirmed that someone else with a degree in medicine could tell that I didn't feel good. I'm always afraid that I will go in there and he/she will look at me like I'm an idiot and say "Now I know you said it hurt, but I don't really see anything." So it kind of made me feel better that it looked bad. It felt really bad, so I figured it might as well look bad as well. It would be a waste of pain otherwise. So, anyway, they did the strep test. And five minutes later I heard the words that everyone dreads "It came back negative. You just have a virus." Translation of doctor talk: "We have absolutely no idea why you are so sick. Take two aspirin and call me next week if it doesn't get any better." I was so glad I spent 1 HOUR and 42 MINUTES to hear that. So I went to the nearby drug store, bought some more ibuprofen and 600mg later I felt much better!

1 comment:

Garden Girl said...

Ahhhhhh - I feel so bad for you HHM! What a bummer - being sick in the summer. Didn't you get the memo that moms are not supposed to get sick? ;)

I'm home from church today - Luke ran a fever yesterday but seems to be okay this morning for the most part (its a little higher than normal) so I'm not going to take the chance on spreading it around!