Friday, August 3, 2007

My child must think I'm bored...

I was packing some stuff in our upstairs bathroom yesterday morning. My son came in and wanted to sit on the potty. (I guess I should provide a warning with this post--it involves potty training. As a mother of preschoolers you had to expect it to come up at some point. So if you are adverse to potty training stories, you should probably quit reading now.) As I was saying, my son wanted to sit on the potty. Maybe I should clarify--my youngest son Nathan wanted to sit on the potty. I figured, why not, I'm in here anyway and anything that keeps him entertained that doesn't involve bodily harm while I'm packing has to be a good thing. Well, he sat down, got a very concentrated look on his face, and he went, um, shall we say, number 1. (I used to always wonder why they numbered them--now I know!). I was mildly surprised and kept trying to convince myself that it was an accident even though he was very obviously trying when it happened. He decided to hang out there for quite awhile, and like I said, as long as he was entertained I didn't mind. So, then, a bit later we sit down to eat lunch. About 3/4 of the way through lunch, Nathan has a funny look on his face. Kind of on a whim--probably out of habit since we just not too long ago potty trained John--I said "Do you need to, um, go number 2" (I actually said the word. He's not two yet so I'm sure he doesn't know what number 2 is, but I thought you might appreciate the number.) He immediately starts repeating what I just said along with "down, down, down". So I get him down and he proceeds to run upstairs to the bathroom. And, not 30 seconds later, he goes number 2 on the potty. This time I couldn't really convince myself that it was an accident. So then, I say "all done!" . He gets down, we do our thing, he flushes, and then he wants to get on it again. I kept telling him he was done and he kept insisting. I didn't want to discourage him so I let him sit on it some more. I got distracted by one of the other children and left for about a 1 minute. When I returned I found that he had gone some more!!! He knew he wasn't done! Unbelievable! So now I am in a dilema. I really do not need anything else to do in my life right now. Do I potty train the child??? My child must think I'm bored...

2 comments:

Garden Girl said...

You know it is sad when you get a thrill at stories like this.....

Hey, if he's telling you he wants to use the potty, let him use the potty. You don't have to break out the timer. Just let him tell you, if he goes in his diaper - whatever, if he goes on the potty, one less diaper to change.

Seriously though, he probably was subconsciously trained while you trained John...

....did you ask for advice? LOL!

Mom said...

Wow, just think how nice it would be to have no more diapers by the time he's two. Maybe he thought he'd get a surprise like John did.