Monday, October 8, 2007

Blue state bureaucracy

Yep, I'm still alive. Actually I'm the only healthy one in my family. (Oops, I probably shouldn't have said that out loud! Who knows what will happen tomorrow now!) Today I made my third trip to the doctor's office since Friday. I also went Tuesday of last week. So I guess that makes 4 visits within a week's time span. My pediatrician aptly said today that we evidently don't get along with our new locale's germs. To be fair, today's visit was a physical for the girls so they could continue to attend school. Now usually in this blog I stay fairly apolitical, but I can't resist to comment on the blue state bureaucracy that I ran into this last week concerning my girls' physicals. It all started last Monday when I got a letter from the school--a fairly harsh letter involving words like state "code" and "said child will not be allowed to attend school" and "truancy" and "sheriff will be notified"--I think you get the idea. Evidently they didn't have the appropriate physical form for Sara to be attending school--and Ashley as well although I created that one myself by letting them know that Ashley didn't have our current state's physical form either. Now a phone call or previous letter would have been nice, but that is a whole other story. So I got the appointment made for their physicals so there would be no need for a sheriff's visit to our house. Now here is the beauty of this whole situation. The form that needed to be filled out was basically just their vaccinations. So the school gave me a copy of the vaccination sheet that they had received from Sara's school records and from me for Ashley. I took the copy of that vaccination sheet to the doctor's office. The doctor (actually the nurse) wrote the vaccinations that were on the school's sheet onto the official form, the doctor signed it, and we are all set. How absolutely, unbelievably crazy is that! Ahh, you gotta love living in a blue state--it adds humor to my life.

No comments: