Saturday, December 22, 2007

Nathan's blanket

We all are really creatures of habit. Our Nathan has a blue blanket that is his best friend. Honestly, the other day he fell and I was standing very near him. I said in my best mother voice "Oh, Nathan, come here so I can kiss it." Instead of running to his dear mother--the person who loves him and nutures him and feeds him and is full of compassion--he ran the other direction crying "Blanket, blanket, blanket!!!!". He normally sleeps with it. Actually, normally isn't the right word. Always would be a much more appropriate word. He sucks two fingers on his right hand and holds his blanket right next to his face. (Yes, I know, we are raising Linus--seriously, his blanket is blue) Yesterday afternoon I had to wake him up from his nap to get the girls from school. I gently shook him and called his name. His eyes popped open and, out of his habit, his two fingers immediately popped into his mouth. Then he shut his eyes again and lifted his other hand and began to feel around for his blanket. I decided I would hover and observe what was going to happen next since his blanket was all the way on the other side of the bed. He blindly moved his hand around grabbing onto everything it came into contact with...his shirt, his bear, his bed blankets and finally my shirt (I was leaning over him.) Evidently my shirt felt like his blanket because he grabbed on and pulled it towards his face. Of course, once it reached his face, his eyes popped open and he looked at me obviously very confused. Then confusion turned to disappointment and frustration. He let go and dove for his blanket. And even though it was only a brief moment of being able to help my child--I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

The Rosetto's said...

Are you sure it was Nathan? From your description of events I think Kaiman cut her hair, shrunk a little and traded places with Nathan while we were not looking! Seriously she is the same way. What is with this blanket thing?