Thursday, July 31, 2008

What were we thinking?

I was teaching children's church a few weeks back and it was a lesson on the passage where Jesus asks the disciples "Who do you say I am?". To introduce it, I asked the kids if any of them knew what their names meant. A few did and the question promptly begged my kids to ask me what their names meant. Honestly, Joe & I didn't really look at the meanings of the names we picked for our kids. We mostly picked them because we liked them. So finally this morning, we looked it up on the web. Sara means "princess", John means "God is gracious", Nathan means "God has given". And then we came to Ashley. I desperately searched for an alternate meaning but to no avail. I had to break the news to Ashley. "Your name means 'ash wood'. You were named after a tree."

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Yeah, my sister threw a big fit over that when she found out what her name meant. I think she'll survive, and your Ashley probably will too.

Alissa said...

Tell her it can also mean "ash tree field" or "ash meadow." Everyone loves meadows, as they are beautiful & peaceful places! ;)

Alissa said...

You could tell her that she is named after TWO beautiful things in God's creation (ash tree meadows and roses). ;)

Horn herd mom said...

I should have clarified--Ashley actually thought it was hysterical that she was named after a tree. She really thought it was cool when she realized that we actually have an Ash tree in our yard.