Monday, November 24, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I know it's not Thanksgiving yet, but our small town had our Christmas parade on Saturday. A bigger town nearby has their the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so as to not try to compete (I'm assuming) we do ours on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Anyway, the girls got to be in their first parade. They walked with their girl scout troupe. I got to walk with them and for some brief moments was exclaiming to them how excited I was to be in my first parade as well. Then my memory of high school kicked in. I've been a lot of parades and I'm sure my parents are thinking "how could you forget that??!! We stood in countless cold (and hot) lines to watch you walk by for thirty seconds!" I played trumpet in the marching band in high school. However, this was the first parade that I was in that I wasn't in the band. It is an entirely different kind of experience. You actually realize that there are people watching you. When you are in band, you are basically clueless that there is anyone watching you (at least I was). You just hope that you stay in step and don't run into the person in front of you. So we took some pictures before we left the house and then, in all the excitement, I completely forgot to take my camera to the actual parade. I felt like the abominable snowman (and look a little like one too!). I was so paranoid that I was going to get cold that I had about 3 or 4 layers on the top and bottom. My girls were complaining when we got there that they were sweating. But my motto is --always better to be too hot then too cold in a Christmas parade!

I had to include this picture. It is such a classic Ashley expression and I think it is the first time I've gotten it on camera. Definitely one of my favorites...

No comments: