Saturday, June 23, 2007

Pancakes --- Part 2

I made Bisquick pancackes yesterday morning. Funny thing--I was out of flour this time, but had eggs and milk. I guess that is why they make Bisquick. :) So I decided to try the Bisquick. I did this with a little trepidation. What if my kids liked Bisquick pancakes better than my homemade pancakes? It would definitely be a blow to my ego--I'm pretty proud of my pancakes. (I'm sure you hadn't noticed.) So I decided we should have an official taste test--kind of like they used to have with Coke and Pepsi. Only I decided to do it without the blind folds and I wasn't going to make both kinds that they could try at the same time. My kids have a pretty good memory, so I just decided to go with their memory of my homemade pancakes. They ventured downstairs about 7am and their pancakes were on the table. I didn't tell them they were different, but I was confident that they would notice. So I stood in the kitchen and waited. And waited and waited and waited... They were just eating--absolutely no comments were being made. I, frankly, was getting very nervous and my confidence concerning my homemade pancakes was quickly fading. Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore and was about to ask if they had noticed anything different, my wonderful Ashley spoke up "Um, are these pancakes different Mommy?" "Well, what do you think? Do they taste different?" (I didn't want to bias the experiment.) Sara: "Yes, they are definitely different." and then, what I had been waiting for, Ashley: "I don't like them, Mommy." YEAH!!!!! I'm not sure I'd ever been excited that my child didn't like food set before her. I decided it was safe at this point to poll the rest of the children. John and Sara both concurred with Ashley that they didn't like them nearly as well as my regular pancakes. Since Nathan can't talk, I went on how much he ate. He didn't eat nearly as many as he usually does so I conclude that he doesn't like them either. (Now he did have the stomach flu, but since the results are favorable for me that doesn't mean I have to throw his results out, does it?) And so my pancakes win even up against the number one pancake mix in the country.

No comments: