Sunday, August 5, 2007

Entering the modern age

Today we officially entered the technology age. Well, actually Joe entered the technology age. I am just along for the ride and get to use it occassionally if he is a nice guy. As a departing gift from FBC, they gave him an IPOD. Ooops, I think I just spelled it wrong. It doesn't look right. I think it is actually iPod. The fact that I messed it up should give you a little insight to my technology savvyness. I actually don't do too bad considering I've been out of the workforce for 6 1/2 years. I can do everything I need to do on my computer. However, any of these new gadgets many times baffle me. Joe is running an errand and the kids are watching a video, so I decided that I would check out the new iPod. I had glanced at it earlier, but hadn't even really taken the time to look at the inscription (which includes my name, BTW). As I was admiring its beauty, I accidentally turned it on. Then in the process of trying to turn it off I set the language to something other than english. Not exactly sure what the language was---possibly Norwegian/Swedish?? (Do they have a Norwegian/Swedish language on an iPod?) In any case, it was definitely a language I didn't understand which certainly didn't help me figure out how to turn it off. I also turned the machine over and over again to find a switch. Of course there was no on/off switch. They don't believe in them in the modern age. I finally just decided to put it back in the package and 'fess up to Joe when he got home. As I was putting it back in the plastic wrap I noticed some writing on the plastic. It informed me how to reset it. Yeah! So I got it reset and then I moved on to turning it off. I tried to follow the instructions, but much to my dismay it remained stubbornly on. I suppose that is good to know when I actually know how it works. So I did put it back in the package and just hoped that it had some sort of automatic feature that would turn it off. By the time Joe returned home it had turned off. Yeah!! However, he read my post which was part way done in its draft form and found out my error in touching it. So it was decided that we would read the instructions together. I'm sure many 20 year olds out there would completely laugh at us. What has happened since we entered our 30s???

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Karen...Steve or I can help with the iPod...I just bought one this summer. It's amazing; I love it.
How did I live without it? ;)