Saturday, August 11, 2007

One man's trash...

I hate my kitchen floor. I'm not sure that hate even fully expresses my feeling towards my kitchen floor. When we moved here almost 6 years ago, I said "I want a new kitchen floor." However, with tyranny of the urgent and all that, I still have the same kitchen floor that I had when we moved in. It is orange. I've had several people correct me and say that it is actually "tera cota" (Did I even spell that right?) I think that is just a way of saying that you like the color orange without actually having to admit to it. Honestly, how many people, when you ask them, will say "My all time favorite color is orange." I personally know of one person and I'm actually proud of her for her boldness. Those people who say they like tera cota are people who really like the color orange and are just afraid to say so. In any case, it is orange and I have never met a floor that is harder to clean than this one. It is supposedly "natural" linoleum. It looks like it is from the 1950s, but it isn't. Maybe it would have been easier to clean if it had been from the 1950s. I know those women wouldn't have had hours to spend cleaning floors. For a long time I had tried many different mops and solutions and couldn't figure out why nothing worked. Then, one day, as I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor I figured it out--the floor is pourus. I cleaned a portion of it and then pressed my hand on it--dirt literally rose to the surface. Ahhhh, gross!!!!! I have four kids--I don't need the floor to produce dirt on its own. The kids do a pretty good job with that. So when we looked at houses, one of the first things I checked out was the kitchen floor. The one we bought has tile--Yeah!! Although, I met the buyer of our house yesterday, and she was going on and on (without know that my new house has tile) about how horrible tile is to keep clean. You know what else she was going on and on and on about---how much she LOVED the kitchen floor in this house. I guess one man's trash truly is another man's treasure. I also think she is a closet orange lover.

6 comments:

Mom said...

You've got to be kidding. I didn't think that a person could exist who would actually say they liked that floor. I, for one, am thrilled for you to have a different floor in your new house. Wonder what the new buyer will think of her orange floor after a week of trying to clean it.

Horn herd mom said...

Actually, we got several comments from people who looked at the house that loved the floor. I also have a good friend that really likes it. To each his own I guess...

Garden Girl said...

Word to the wise - let your children only hold plastic while over the new floor, stuff SHATTERS when it hits tile. Also, I really like the cleaner Barkeepers Friend (it's like Comet only white - just about as cheap) for cleaning grout. Tile is awesome to keep clean, grout is another thing ;)

All-in-all - you're gonna LOVE the tile over what you have now.

Anna said...

I agree with Garden Girl - grout is another story to keep clean. :/ I'll have to try that Barkeepers Friend stuff - can you get it at Target?

Alissa said...

ANY type of flooring is better than that orange-creates-dirt-ex-nihilo floor. I not so fondly remember the very few times I tried to clean it. I am SOOO glad you are getting a new floor!!

Jenna said...

My best friend growing up loved the color orange, although I doubt she's the one who looked at your house.

I'd totally take an orange floor if it meant getting a fun house like yours. I haven't been in it in years, but I know it's cool. (One of my good friends lived there when I was a girl. Isn't it a small world?) If we moved back to Iowa, I'd buy it from you!