Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The game of golf...the ultimate distraction

Sara had to get a filling yesterday. She was so scared--I mean really, really scared. By the time we got back to the room with the chair she was in complete tears and pretty much beyond reason--silent tears and a shaking body. The hygentist showed her the "pink pig nose" that would be used for the laughing gas and then left. By her glance at me, I took it as a hint that I definitely needed to step in and calm my child down. We prayed, prayed and prayed some more. We talked about where the fear was from--the unknown. For ten minutes I tried pretty much everything. Then, and it had to be from God, I realized I just needed to move on and talk about something else--ANYTHING else to get her mind off of it. There was a big mural of a golf course on the wall and so we talked about what else--golf. She learned everything I know about golf (which isn't much) but now she actually wants to go golfing. So if you ever happen to be around her and wonder where she learned such a vast knowledge of the sport of golf--it was at the dentist--where else?

She did great by the way. The whole procedure from the time she put the mask on to when the dentist was done took maybe five minutes. Oh, and laughing gas makes Sara, well, laugh!

No comments: