Friday, December 17, 2010

Favorite Things--Day 15

the Word. AWANA was this past Wednesday. At risk of maybe being too vulnerable, I will admit that I wasn't looking forward to it this week. At the root of my lack of desire was selfishness. We were missing many leaders (I was going to have to be in charge of shuffling the leaders we did have around), I had family in town, my hubby was on vacation, I was tired and it was going to be a very busy night. My thought was also that we certainly wouldn't have many kids. There was a band concert at one of the schools and general holiday reverie occurring. This just wasn't going to be worth the effort. I was wrong on so many levels the first being that we wouldn't have many kids. It was worth the effort. And, at a minimum, this should be one of the times of the year that we focus on the Word and dig into it. It is transformational and once hidden in our hearts (as these kids are doing) it guards us against sin. The Word of God is truly one of my favorite things and I will be eternally grateful for it.

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

No comments: