Saturday, April 28, 2012

A brief moment

I had one of those brief moments of brilliance this morning.  You know the kind where you think "Wow, I should write a book and share my wisdom with others."  So instead of writing a book, I'll just record it here on the blog so that one day my kids, when they are trying to figure out the parenting thing, can read it and get some ideas and have their own moments of brilliance.  My kids hate going to the grocery store.  I really can't state this strongly enough.  It is perhaps their least favorite thing to do.  They would rather go to the dentist then follow me around our grocery store.  I think I spoiled them (and myself!) when I was just babysitting one child last fall and was able to get all the shopping done while they were at school.  Now that I have 4 kids, 3 and under, I do not venture out to the store while they are at school.  So, since everyone seems to be convinced that they need to eat 3 meals a day, I do have to drag them to the store.  And, yes, I mean literally drag them.  We came to one of those moments this morning and suddenly I had a light bulb go on. (I think there really was one that popped up over my head).  I decided that we would make personal pizzas today...regular pizzas and dessert pizzas...mmmm.  (Daddy's away so the mice will play!)  So I had them sit down and figure out what they wanted on their respective pizzas, make a list and then at the store, while I went down the aisles filling my cart, they would go together and shop for the things on their list.  Wow, is all I can say.  We had shouts of joy at the prospects of shopping by themselves at the store.  And, as a bonus, it didn't take me long to get everything on my list because I was by myself....definitely a win, win for everyone involved.  So, while we may not have personal pizzas every time I need to go to the store, you can bet I will definitely be dividing up the list and letting them do some of the shopping for me.

No comments: