Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I again taste the humble pie

It was not a good night for glasses at our house. We were sitting down to eat supper and a child who will remain nameless was attempting to get a drink. Said child was fooling around with another child who will also remain nameless when a glass broke (not ten seconds after I had told said children to stop fooling around, but then again pride comes before the fall). I can honestly say I remained calm and began cleaning up the mess. Accidents do happen, right. It was at this point that the first nameless child who was mainly responsible for the broken glass piped up "Don't freak out mom. We have other glasses." Now in all fairness this response from this child could be because normally I would freak out. However, this time I had not, so her statement did make me, uh, freak out. I launched into my lecture series on the value of items, how much money is in your piggy bank, you need to pay attention to what you are doing, etc. Approximately 15 minutes later I was in the middle of multi-tasking. For those of you who know me, you know that I can be the queen of multi-tasking. This time was no different. I was baking chocolate chip cookies, putting away dishes, attempting a video call, and watching my children who were somewhat scattered around the house. Before I knew what had happened, I had successfully shattered a glass that I was putting away. I couldn't believe it. And I made a mess much, much worse than my child had. Plus, it had shattered over my freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. It was so painful to throw them away! Now the cut on my finger and toe from cleaning it up are reminding me of the value of items, the amount of money in my piggy bank, and paying attention to what I am doing.

No comments: