Thursday, June 7, 2007

As I said, vacation is great!

We're still on vacation. Joe took the day off work so we are livin' it up. For example, right now we are watching TV and watching Antiques Roadshow. We just finished our bowls of ice cream. Just as popcorn is a necessity for movies, ice cream is a must for Antiques Roadshow. The best part is that we even learned some things. Like:


  • old time sugar boxes had dividers to separate the brown sugar from the purer, more expensive white sugar; the bigger part of the box was for the brown sugar (of course!)
  • a belt buckle from the civil war can be worth up to $6000; "Condition is everything with these things"; this one was from the confederate side in case you have one and were wondering what it was worth
  • Joe's favorite--the antique duck calls; hang on to those duck calls--in 70 years they may be worth $500 "now that isn't bad appreciation" according to the host
  • Host: "What do you think this is?" Guest: "Honestly, I don't know" Host: "It's quite rare" Host:"This is where design is everything. I would say this is worth $10000-$15000" Guest: "Wow I never dreamed my horribly ugly necklace would be worth so much money" (Okay, you're onto me--the last quote by the guest I made up. It was a really ugly glass necklace though!)

See what you missed because you weren't on vacation!

No comments: