Monday, June 4, 2007

Nathan's guardian angel

My kids are gone this week. They are livin' it up at Grandpa Horns house. I'm realizing how boring my life can be without them. Now I have a good time with my husband and we are going to have an AWESOME week, but it is very, very, very quiet around here. I'm also realizing that my material for writing this week is going to be less. I'll have to get more creative. As an insight into what my life is like when they are here (especially my youngest Nathan) I thought you would like to see some of the instructions, and shall I say, warnings, I gave Grandma, Grandpa & Aunt Alissa before they took the children:

Some things you should know about Nathan:

  • He likes to go head first down slides. Sometimes he forgets to sit (or lay down) and just steps off onto the slide
  • He can open pretty much any cabinet, drawer, door (especially if they don't latch) and probably will open them all
  • Sometimes he shuts himself in closets and can't get out. So if you hear a muffled jabbering...
  • He has absolutely, completely no awareness of streets or cars (cars make a loud noise so he tends to be fascinated by them)
  • He likes to throw his plate on the floor when he is done eating. He also will throw chicken nuggets (and they can go amazingly far) if he gets bored
  • He likes the big boy swings and has no interest in the baby swings. (I think if he could talk he would say "why would I swing in that? I am not a baby!)
  • He will call every animal at the zoo a "doggie" I actually had a 10 minute conversation with him the other day when he was trying to convince me that a cow in a book was a doggie. I finally gave up.
  • Keep him out of the bathroom. He is way too curious
  • He can (and will) take lids off the sippy cups if they just snap on. He also enjoys then making a waterfall with the water in the cup
  • He doesn't want anyone else to touch the grocery cart besides him and the person driving it (I think I've mentioned this before.)


Joe and I are working on all of these issues, but parenting takes time. Let's just hope and pray that we survive and that Nathan's guardian angel doesn't quit before he's five. (I understand that Nathan is already trying to drive Grandpa's golf cart by himself.)

2 comments:

Garden Girl said...

Yes, let's do hope for no quiting before the age of 5!

Enjoy your kid-free week!

Jenna said...

Wow...he sounds like a really funny little guy!

You know, I never have gotten to meet any of your kids! I remember back when y'all moved to Iowa my dad and sister just went on and on about how cute Sara was, and you've had three more since then!

But enjoy your week! Sounds like you and Joe are having a good time. :) I'm glad for you.