Saturday, July 28, 2007

John's little trick

My son John is definitely a "chip off the old block". The first words out of his mouth this morning were "Mom, where's my gun?" Before you panic, you must know that it is a toy shotgun--a very special gift from Grandpa Horn. We promptly tracked it down and then I began making my coffee. John, desperate to shoot something, kept pointing the gun at me. We've been trying to teach him that we don't point guns at people. So I suggested he do target practice on Daddy's deer hanging on the wall. He looked so cute taking aim and shooting in his PJs that I decided I had to have a picture of it. I told him to hold still while I grabbed my disposable camera. The thing is soooo cheesy. I was trying to figure out if it was even on. Do disposable cameras even turn off??? I finally decided to just take the shot even if the flash wouldn't work. After I took the picture of my very photogenic son, he looked up at me with eyes full of pity. Then in a very compassionate voice he said "Mom, come here. Let me get you your other camera." "What?" I said. "I was playing a trick on you Mommy and I hid your camera." was John's response. And then he took me by the hand and led me to a small white box that sits in the corner of our kitchen. The box houses my internet modem and the wireless router. He opened the lid and there lay my camera in the box. "Here's your camera, Mommy. Do you want to take another picture?" I must say I was completely speechless. I honestly don't think he had any idea of what he did. He was really just playing hide and seek with his mommy and, in his mind, his mommy was obviously way too dumb to find his hiding spot. And, after all that, I didn't even get a picture on him shooting his deer. Needless to say, we had a long, very long, discussion concerning what he is allowed to touch and hide and what he is not allowed to touch and hide. On the upside, you will get to see pictures of my growing box pile in my garage. Aren't you excited?!

No comments: