Tuesday, July 24, 2007

You know it's been a bad day when...

you lose one of your children in your very own house. That just happened to me. All my kids were down for naps--well, they were at least each in a secluded location and I was deciding to be under the illusion that they were asleep. I was on the phone trying to figure out schooling for the girls after we move. BTW, completely off topic, we have a move date--August 21--and yes, that means we have a house!! Anyway, back to losing John. I got off the phone and heard movement upstairs. Our children are really at a disadvantage to being sneaky during naptime. It is pretty much impossible to walk around upstairs and not have at least one board creak. So I decided to go check it out. I was actually relieved to find the bathroom door closed when I arrived upstairs. Ahh, I thought, I won't have to discipline because he only got out of bed to go to the bathroom. It was a relief. I tapped on the door and then opened it. There was no John to be seen. Oh, I thought, maybe he is back in his bed. I went to his bedroom. Again, there was no John. It was at this moment that I realized that I was going to have to discipline him. However, in order to discipline him I would have to find him. Maybe he got lonely and decided to keep his siblings company. I checked out the girls' room, Nathan's room, Nathan's closet, the girls' closet, John's closet and John wasn't anywhere. I checked our bedroom--again no John. Now I was getting a little nervous. I called out his name "John, where are you?!" in a very loud whisper. "I don't know" was the response. Not being very amused, I called out in another very loud whisper "Where are you?!" "I don't know" came the response again. I traced the response to the bathroom, but did not see him anywhere. He wasn't hiding behind the tub, he wasn't in the shower and there really aren't any other hiding spots in that room. Again, feeling like I was playing a not very fun game of Marco Polo, I asked in a voice that probably could not be considered a whisper "WHERE ARE YOU, JOHN DAVID?!" "I don't know" was all I heard. It was obvious that he would now know that he needed to show himself immediately and so when he didn't I got really worried. Maybe he didn't really know where he was. And, honestly, it sounded like he was in the heating duct (we have very large ones in our old house). So just as I was almost in a complete panic as I looked down the heating vent in the bathroom, I hear a creak behind me and see fingers sticking out of the bathroom cabinet door. Yep, he was under the sink in the cabinet. Needless to say, there was some disciplining that took place, but, on the plus side, now I know where to look when we are really playing hide and seek in the house.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm so excited that you found a house! :) That's a blessing! (Knowing where your children are hiding is just a bonus, right?!)

Kim said...

You now know ALL the hiding spots & just before you move!