Monday, July 23, 2007

The nuttiness and a funk

I know it has been awhile since I've posted--at least for me. But we had a nutty weekend and I've been in a bit of a funk. I'll address the nutty weekend first. We think we had 13 different families come through our house since Friday. So we basically lived in our car and at other people's houses when we weren't sleeping here. This is how it typically went with our kids before we would get home from someone's house: "When we get home, go upstairs, put on your PJs, brush your teeth without getting any toothpaste on the sink (tricky, I know), get in bed and above all--DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" I must say considering the circumstances, our kids did great and I think our house managed to stay somewhat clean. I've relaxed a bit today--they actually got to play with the toys in the basement this morning.

Onto the funk that I've been in--moving stinks! Especially when you actually enjoy the place that you currently live. I try to keep this blog pretty upbeat and fun, so I haven't posted because I've not been very upbeat or very fun in the last two days. But, my goal is to keep memories, and these are certainly memories so I decided I need to record them. And as I thought about what I would write it actually made me feel a little less funky. We had our farewell staff party last night. Great fun even though I definitely think that Matt rigged his and Gloria's scores and Jon & I should have won the team competition. Here are some of the staff memories that we will remember:

  • Joe's rope burn on his neck from his dog training (or as Joe says "if you've still got it, you might as well flaunt it")
  • The burger video
  • Birthday pies--especially sour cream and raisin (I'm sorry--I still think that is gross)
  • All of Steve's former secretaries
  • The "dog bucket" issues
  • Joe's trivial pursuit game that he "cheated" on
  • Steve and Sarah holding hands
  • The Amanas, Galena, Chicago, Madison
  • Annual Christmas dinner with the elders
  • Apples to Apples
  • Food, food, food and more food
  • Remembering to write down every place we ate when we went on vacation so we could report back to Steve when we returned

I'm sure there are many, many more and Joe suggested I do a part two later. (It is suppertime here and the natives are getting restless.) Needless to say, those of you on staff at FBC we love you and will dearly miss each one of you!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Moving's hard! We'll be praying for you; I understand that "funk".

But...hate to break it to you...but Joey and I hate Apples to Apples. I guess I'm glad somebody likes it.

Kelly said...

And for some of us who used to be on staff, we are praying and I know the funk. We've already had to be missing you!