Sunday, August 12, 2007

No yoke deviled eggs

Can a "no yoke deviled egg" really be called a deviled egg? I had promised Sara I would make her deviled eggs before we moved. As her days in this house are quickly dwindling (only 3 more to be exact) I thought I should probably do that today. I got my eggs boiled this morning and began working on them for lunch. Alas, I had packed my recipe books. (Maybe that shouldn't be "alas" but "hooray!") So I was at a dilemma--do I wing the recipe since I knew the ingredients or do I look something up on the Internet. (Totally off topic-I just did a spell check and the word internet popped up because I didn't have it capitalized. Is the word "internet" suppose to be capitalized? I did the check again and it didn't pop up on the ones I didn't capitalize. Weird!) I decided to check out the internet. I'm not usually very good at winging it on recipes--just ask Joe. So I checked out a highly recommended website (thanks to garden girl) and one of the first recipes that popped up was a "no yoke deviled egg" recipe. They substituted mashed potatoes for the egg yoke. I appreciate wanting to stay away from the highly cholesterol ridden yoke, but I honestly think that I would rather just not have deviled eggs than substitute mashed potatoes. GROSS!!!!! And so I got my entertainment this morning in seeing if I could think of anything grosser to eat than deviled egg flavored mashed potatoes inside boiled egg whites. That was about all the website accomplished because once I found a recipe that I thought was fairly similar to the one I typically use, I realized that alas, (whoops, hooray!) I had packed all my measuring devices. And so I ended up winging it anyway.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I agree, Karen - I'd rather just not eat deviled eggs than eat a no-yolk one! Eek!

Jenna said...

That's disturbing.