Monday, September 3, 2007

No side car for me thank you

Since we live closer to family we decided to take advantage of the holiday and visit some of them this weekend. We left after church on Sunday and came back this evening. We shamefully had not seen Joe's sister who normally lives in another country but is doing a brief stint here since Christmas. And she is pregnant!!! So exciting. We got to see the ultrasound video--very cool! Although John said on the way home that it looked like it should be scary. It wasn't scary he said--it just looked like it should be. As I thought about it, I guess it would be kind of scary if you didn't know what you were looking at. Anyway, I have extremely digressed, we left after church on Sunday and took the interstate the whole way to our relatives. You ALWAYS see interesting things on the interstate if you are on it long enough. I was not disappointed on Sunday. The first thing that caught my attention was a motorcyclist that was going at least 90mph and was helmetless. (like a helmet will help when you are going that fast) It was at this point that we discussed the craziness of that and what (in much too precise terms) exactly would happen if he hit a rock the wrong way. Not too long after that a motorcycle carrying two passengers with a side car passed us. The side car was carrying their belongings--not a person. This brought an even more interesting conversation. Now you have to understand (okay, wait, I have to share this--my husband just gave me his socks because my feet were cold. And they are nice and warm because they were on his feet. How sweet is that!) Okay, so one thing you have to understand about me is that since I left the big city of Dallas about 6 years ago I have somehow develop a fear of semis. I used to drive amongst them in my little Saturn every single day going 60mph bumper to bumper and they didn't bother me at all. Now if there is one a mile away and he looks like he might be going to move into my lane and "cut me off" I freak out. And so, as we watched this motorcycle with the side car drive by, I began thinking about what it might be like to ride in the side car on the interstate. People would think I was an absolute crazy person because if I was riding in the side car I would either a.) be totally ducked into the side car like a turtle screaming my head off or b.) standing in the side car waving my hands to make sure mister semi truck driver could see me and not hit me. I used to think it would be a really cool thing for Joe to own a motorcycle and I still kind of do, but if that were to ever happen we would definitely not ever be getting a side car for me to ride in....

1 comment:

LivingFree said...

I know what you mean about semi's. When we lived in Atlanta I used to drive in the middle of all that chaos with no problem, but now I stress...Glenn wants a motorcycle. He takes me by to look at them all the time. In GA we looked at a Harley and up here in PA he took me to a Victory dealership. I don't think I'm ready for one yet!