Thursday, September 6, 2007

Our bank will definitely be taking care of us

I had to visit Walmart this morning. I don't frequent it too often because whenever I am there I stock up. Today was a normal Walmart experience--especially considering I'm still trying to get familiar with the store. I never did find the tortilla shells that we always use. So I go to check out. We are all in pretty good spirits considering what we've just done and so the boys got the promised sugar-free gum. They were excited and I was excited because there were several, actually a lot of check out lanes open. The friendly (yes, she really was friendly) gal sped through my items and I ran my debit card to pay the bill. It failed to authorize so I asked her if she wanted me to use my debit card again or try a credit card instead. Sometimes their debit doesn't work for whatever reason. She said to try again, which I did. It was at this point of rejection that she asked me if I was having problems with my credit. Obviously the friendly little gal doesn't know the difference between debit and credit cards. I promptly said "no--there is plenty of money backing this card up" It took my credit card and convinced that their machine was just messed up I left the store. It continued to nag me a bit and since we actually do have quite a bit of money in our checking right now (we just deposited the check from our house sale) I decided to stop by an ATM and double check the balance just for peace of mind. The ATM wouldn't even give me a balance and I think it probably would have kept my card had it not been one that you just slide it through. I got Joe on the phone and he was at the bank within five minutes deciphering the problem with the teller. I, meanwhile, am making the 20 minute trek back to our bank trying not to panic. By the time I arrived they had figured it out. The central bank office had suspected fraudulent activity on our account and shut it down. What triggered the suspicion you may wonder?? We bought gas out of state on Monday--Labor Day--a holiday--when people typically travel! They said it constituted unusual activity and they couldn't get us by phone so they put a hold on it. And so I feel very secure that if at anytime our account really does get stolen our central banking office will nip it in the bud!

No comments: