Tuesday, December 11, 2007

So what was that exactly?

I decided to branch out in my food preparation for supper. Usually we stick with a meat entree, a vegetable and a salad. Occasionally I will include some kind of starch--potatoes, rice, biscuits or some sort of pasta. Tonight I tried couscous. Now before you become too impressed, it was a boxed version. In fact, it only took five minutes to prepare. To be specific, it was Parmesan couscous. I personally thought it was pretty yummy when I taste tested it after it was done. So I dished it out onto the plates and we sat down to eat. Just in case you were wondering, we had sticky honey chicken wings to go with it--very, very yummy. Anyway, after we prayed everyone dug in. The couscous seemed to be a big hit and brought the same question from everyone:

"What is it?" was the resounding chorus
"It's couscous." was my response
"Is it chopped up rice?" asked Sara
"No, it's couscous." I responded
"So what is it?" asked Joe
"Couscous!" I said
"What is couscous?" asked Joe
"Is this goose poop?" asked John
At this point the conversation went decidedly down hill. And ended with me stating very strongly "It is not rice, it is not potatoes, and it is definitely not goose poop. It is couscous!"

So I decided I should look it up on dictionary.com to find out exactly what we did eat this evening for supper.

couscous: a North African dish consisting of steamed semolina, served with vegetables and meat

Now, I'm sure you all know what semolina is, but I will provide you with the definition (just for my benefit, of course!)

semolina: a granular, milled product of durum wheat, consisting almost entirely of endosperm particles, used chiefly in the making of pasta.

Ahhh, I'm so glad we cleared that up. What I can assure you is that we did NOT eat goose poop for supper.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I'm still laughing about the goose poop comment! I could see how "couscous" could sound like "goose poop" to a 4-year-old, really! :0

Mom said...

We laughed till we cried. By the way I always make the 5 minute couscous. Our favorite is the mix with pine nuts. I add extra pine nuts. That being said I'm not sure we'll ever be able to eat couscous again without laughing about goose poop.
Too funny.

Garden Girl said...

Too funny! ...goose poop....LOL

I've never made couscous that WASN'T five minutes! I buy it at the bulk section of Hy-Vee. I simply take 1 1/4 cup of water, add some chicken base, some lemon zest/juice - heat those to boiling in the microwave. Then I stir in one cup of the couscous. It tastes yummy! Love it with salmon or any kind of white fish grilled. Hey - it is cheap too (when bought in bulk). Okay, more info then I'm sure you wanted!

Kendra said...

well, that's a new one! hey guess what kids?? we're having goose poop for supper...it's the healthiest thing there is!! :) my question is...did they like the "goose poop"???

Kim and Mike said...

LOL!! I love couscous--the 5 min. variety of course! I just tell people that it's really tiny pasta! :)

Kelly said...

O.K., I love it! You absolutely had me laughing out loud trying not to wake up my napping hubby in the same room. All in a day's work, eh?