Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My new health kick...

I'm not exactly a health nut. I try to watch what I eat--not too much ice cream, a meat and veggie for dinner, we watch our carb intake, I have oatmeal or Special K for breakfast and I don't drink pop. But when it comes to fruits and veggies, I must admit that I figure why eat them when you can take a vitamin. I recognize my faulty logic in this, but it still can't help but cross my mine occasionally. Its not that I don't like them, I just don't love them very much. I also am very ignorant about herbs, organic food and the like. However, as I have been aging (I have another birthday in May and I will no longer be considered "early 30s") I've thought that maybe I should pay more attention to such things. And recently a friend of my told me I needed to drink green tea for the antioxidants. Okay, in all fairness she didn't tell me that I needed to, she used her gentle spirit and strong suggestions powers as well as a cup of hot green tea to show me what I was missing out on. My initial response was "So do antioxidants help you to breathe better?" Obviously, I guess, the answer is no. I think they help fight cancer and maybe some other stuff--still not really sure but I guess it's suppose to be good for you. So I also was not real fond of it. It just tasted like slightly flavored hot water (no offense, dear friend, if you are reading). I'm a coffee girl at heart and so on my way home I pondered if perhaps they could put green tea in coffee--then maybe I could drink it. Well, a few days later I was at the grocery store and passed by the teas. I thought to myself--we'll maybe I should pay attention to this antioxidant thing so I grabbed a box of Lipton green tea--it was the variety pack--and I have to admit that when I make it very strong I actually will drink the raspberry flavor now--and (I am so proud of this) I don't even add sugar!!! So my cancer fighting cells now have help from raspberry green tea. Maybe I'll have an apple for lunch...

1 comment:

Garden Girl said...

I've heard that green tea ice cream is good... :) I personally prefer to stick to a home-brewed Chai tea if tea is involved.