Friday, March 7, 2008

The man who didn't like me...

My computer needs help--an assistant. It does a few things very well, but it does not have enough RAM to make it able to do everything that I would like it to do. It takes it about 10 minutes to boot up in the morning and I have to reboot at least once during the day. So my wonderful dear husband got me a new one to assist my current computer. Actually this one will probably be demoted and become an assistant for my new one since my new one will have 2GB of RAM! This one will only be used for internet and be useful for the kids to learn on. Anyway, we ordered it the end of last week. So I immediately started to track the order of my computer. It shipped on Monday, I think. However, it didn't give me a shipping company or a tracking number. Hmmm, I thought. The estimated delivery date was yesterday--the 6th. Around 11am yesterday I saw a DHL truck touring our street. I was so pumped--this all makes sense now. I'm not sure you can track shipments with DHL. Sadly it turned into the drive across the street. I saw our neighbor Sid talk at length with the driver and then deny the package. I anxiously waited for him to point across the street to our house, but he didn't and the van drove away. I was very sad and still not convinced that that man didn't have my computer. So this morning around 7:30 my phone rings and it was the DHL guy. He asked me where I lived and said that he couldn't find my house. I told him I was right across the street from where he was yesterday. He said, very skeptically, "Well, if that is your neighbor, he didn't recognize the name on the box." "Oh", I replied, "We are newer to the area so it makes sense that he might not recognize it." "Ooookaaaay" was his response still not convinced.

When I left to take my girls to school, Sid came running out to van. I got out and he profusely apologized saying that the man had stopped by and he couldn't remember our last name. The guy was so embarrassed. I assured him it wasn't a big deal and that they were going to deliver it this morning.

Around 10:30 the DHL van appears again--this time in my driveway. So I answered the door and the guy just stared at me. The first think he said "Your neighbor didn't know your name." I once again proceeded to explain that we are new. He glanced across the street and very reluctantly handed over the package. I smiled as I signed my name and he glared at me and left. I still don't think he believed me. Maybe I should have Sid write the man a letter.

In any case, hopefully, my next post will be from my speedy fast computer!

No comments: