Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Spring field trips

It is that time of the year again. It's field trip time! I don't get much one on one time with my kids so I try to take advantage of field trips. Last week Sara and I went with all the first graders to a local state park with all the animals native to our state. Very cool in more ways than you think--I should have taken another jacket. (BTW, is it ever going to totally warm up?!) Anyway, we saw bears, foxes, birds, snakes, turtles, etc. And Sara went down a 58 ft slide. That was her favorite. It was a great trip.

Today was Ashley's day. We did something far more adventerous than any state park with wild animals. We went to the roller skating rink. I figure it has been probably at least 20 years since I was on roller skates. Maybe 15--I can't remember if I did it in college or not. In any case, it's been awhile. And it was Ashley's first time on skates. Someone told me that it was like a bicycle--once you learn you don't really forget. I think they were right although I'm fairly certain that I used to be able to skate backwards and that did not come back. Not much has changed at the skating rink. They still do the hokey pokey, the chicken dance and disco balls. I will say I've never seen anyone do on skates what Ashley did. Her legs are fairly amazing. Even though she only has two legs I'm fairly certain that they went in four directions at the same time. After an hour an a half though she was really starting to get the hang of it. As for me, I'm not sure if I'll be able to walk tomorrow or move my arms. (I had a kindergartener on each arm the whole time.) We had a great time and Ashley is already talking about a family trip this summer on a rainy day.



3 comments:

Kristen said...

Lots of fun!!

And Karen - you look great! :)

The Rosetto's said...

sounds fun! maybe we should have a girls night at the roller rink ;)

love the new layout btw

The Bullhorn said...

Kristen's right. You look great! And I love the new layout!