Friday, July 11, 2008

Elephant Ears

It's that time of year again--county fair time! Well, it's also hay baling time of the year but I didn't participate in that. I just observed as I drove by feeling much sympathy for the guys on the wagon stacking bales in 90 degree heat. Anyway, the kids and I made our way over to a neighboring county fair this morning. We had three goals: elephant ears, animals, and elephant ears. Elephant ears are a fair/carnival tradition for the Snow house. Actually, they are the only tradition that we Snows have that is related to a fair/carnival. We didn't ever eat anything else or ride anything! Well, I think maybe we went on the merry-go-round once, but I ended up sick so that was out as well. As my sister and I have traveled and moved about the country we've come to realize that not near every fair--mostly state fairs--include elephant ears. A great travesty if you ask me! These lacking fairs would be TX, OK, IA, GA (I think--not sure if the Robeys made it to the GA one or not). I must admit that I didn't look at every single trailer at the IA fair, but if they had been there I'm sure they would have been prominent--all you see there is an IA chop on a stick--not really sure how they verify that it is from an IA pig since it looks just like an IN, IL, TX, etc. chop. (I should state here that I really did love the IA state fair and if you ever get a chance you should go. Although some of them are soooo very proud of it that they needed a reality check though.) I have greatly digressed. Sara was introduced to elephant ears by my dad a few weeks ago and evidently, until she actually saw what it was, wanted to have nothing to do with it. Would you want to eat a real elephant's ear?! Once she actually saw it and tasted it she was sold. And so we decided her siblings needed to get a taste. So after we wandered all the animals and made sure that John wasn't bit by any of the attack sheep or rabbits (he was convinced something was going to attach him), I insisted on a nutritious lunch before we went straight for dessert. So while they settled in with their corn dogs, I went on a quest and was delighted to see that they do believe in elephant ears here in IL. I bought 2 extremely large elephant ears. They all fell in love. Here's some pics:Note: Sara & Ashley are sharing one. Check out the size of their pieces and I had already eaten some off of them.
This shows off Ashley's most recent tooth loss well.

2 comments:

Mom said...

We loved the pictures.

Garden Girl said...

OH my, I love elephant ears. In fact, my mom used to make elephant ears using her homemade bread dough. MMMMMMmmmmm. In ND, they make "Indian Tacos" which have a similar base in that you use fried bread dough for the taco shell and then load it up with the usual taco fillings. There are just SO MANY possibilities when it comes to fried dough ;)