Monday, July 7, 2008

a new experience for me

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen. Even with four kids there are some parenting things that I haven't experienced. This was one of them. Picture the scene: it's morning (around 8:30) the three older kids are out playing in the front yard and riding their bikes, I am in the backyard watering our garden, Joe is inside taking a shower and Nathan is with him. Here's the discussion that takes place inside:

Nathan (stripping off his clothes): Daddy, can I take a shower with you?
Daddy: No, not today Nathan
Nathan (now totally naked): puhleeeease, Daddy
Daddy: Nathan, I said no
Nathan: I'm going to go ask Mommy
Daddy (not knowing where Mommy is): Fine, go ask Mommy she will agree with Daddy
Nathan (knowing the general idea of where mommy is) runs out the front door (remember where I am)
Daddy (about 3 minutes later) hollers out the backdoor: Karen, is our son running around naked outside?
Me--astonished and completely horrified: I should think not!
Daddy: Well, I'm pretty sure he is

Sure enough I find him naked as a jay bird (where did that saying come from?) getting on his tricycle with the girls staring not sure whether to turn and run or point and laugh.

When we got home from our vacation I asked our neighbor how it was when we were gone. She said quiet. I wonder what she would say now...