On New Year's Day as we were traveling back through the woods and over the river from Grandmother's house, Joe asked me what I had planned for 2009. I said what I normally say when Joe asks me such questions. "I have no idea." Joe is a verbal thinking. He talks while he thinks. I am a silent thinker. I don't talk while I think. And so while I haven't talked about it in the last 6 days (and I'm sure he is shocked that I even remember that he asked the question), I have thought about it. Maybe it would be good to set some "goals" for 2009. I would call them resolutions, but I'm more of a "goal" person than I am a "resolution" person. Strange as it may sound, I am more likely to accomplish it if I set a "goal" than I am if I make a "resolution". Now, in order to be encouraging to myself, I have learned to always set at least some goals that are very easy to attain. So, while you may chuckle to yourself about some of my goals, just remember that I am accomplishing something. Here are some that I thought I'd share with you:
- Read through the Bible in one year...I'm pretty sure that between college (OT & NT surveys) and years of reading my Bible that I've read all of it. But I would like to just once read it all in a year. I've already got a head start on this goal as I actually started reading through the Bible in December.
- Live healthier...okay, let's just be honest I'm going on a diet and I'm going to start exercising again. The goal is healthy living but I would be sorely disappointed if I didn't lose weight.
- Take the kids to see Yellowstone this summer...well, I guess I should say "take Joe" as well since he has never been either.
- Get my blog printed into book form...I found some software that will do this.
- Make my bed everyday...I don't think I've done this since I lived at home. I came to a realization last month that it probably is unreasonable for me to ask my kids to make their beds everyday if I don't make my bed everyday.
- Submit an article to be published..YIKES! I can't believe I put that into print so that someone can actually hold me accountable! I've wanted to do this for awhile and have some ideas.
- Get satellite TV...yea! This one will be easy since it is already ordered. We are just waiting for them to install it. We will go from a whopping 6 channels to over 40. Now we will have 40 channels to flip through before we determine that there is nothing on TV.
- Read some brain stretching material. Joe got me Paradise Lost for Christmas so I will start there. If I get through it, it will be one of the only books that I have read that Joe has not read.
- My last goal is pretty much out of my control, but I would trade in not accomplishing any of my other goals in order to see just this one accomplished. I want my neighbor to find Jesus and experience His love, forgiveness, and peace.
May this year bring you blessing upon blessing from our loving Heavenly Father.