Monday, March 9, 2009

Monday mumblings

So I know I'm not alone in being ready for spring. Between facebook and blogs I'm sure I've read at least 20 times how people just can't wait. I'll join that bandwagon. I even pulled out the flip flops for MOPS this morning and had all the elderly women gasping and asking me if my toes were froze off. In all fairness to them it was 35 degrees outside and I was somewhat recognizing my foolishness when I stepped outside. However, at that point it was waaay too late to change shoes let alone put on socks. And in fairness to me the pants I was wearing really wouldn't have looked good with anything but my brown flip flops. For some reason vanity always wins over practicality for me. I've even been known to tell my kids not to wear their hats so that their hair doesn't get messed up--this is in the winter time mind you. You'd think age would cure some of that.

I'll also join the bandwagon of people that don't like daylight savings time (DST). Actually it's not DST that I'm opposed to. It is the changing of the clocks that I highly dislike. In my opinion, if DST is so great why don't we live on it year round? And, while I'm putting in my two sense worth, why not move it to Saturdays so I can at least enjoy sleeping in the one day of the year that my kids do. I've not adjusted to it yet, BTW. I was up until almost 11pm last night--wide awake and 5:15 came way to early--I was not wide awake then.

I felt like I needed to prepare myself better for Easter. We practice advent all December in preparation for Christmas, but I've never done anything for Easter. So I gave up something for lent....coffee. "Yikes! Coffee! Surely not, God!" is what I said when I felt led that direction. So I quit cold turkey on Ash Wednesday and was absolutely sick as a dog by Friday morning. So Joe let me out of my vow (check out your OT--it's allowed) and I've just significantly cut back. I'm down to one "normal" cup of coffee a morning and that's it for the day. You know all of you who have the gigantic mugs like I like are fooling yourselves when you tell the doctor during your check-up that you only drink one to two cups a day. Seriously, drinking out of those at least doubles your intake. Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to Easter.

The batteries in my camera are dead and I need to see if I have some charged up. We had a big weekend with Grandpa and Grandma Horn--antler hunting and jewelry making and movie watching. Sadly--no pics to deliver. Must add that to my to do list...

Big Thursday coming up for Ashley--gets her hyrax (expander for her mouth) and her cast off all in the same day. Speaking of Ashley, we may have a special surpise for her birthday, but it's a secret. You'll have to wait right along with her.

Joe's home from work, supper needs cooked and so I will sign off for today.

2 comments:

The Bullhorn said...

Sign me up for a charter membership in the I HATE DST Club. I have another thought along the same lines: If you want more daylight in your day, then haul your butt out of bed earlier! Leave the rest of us to our sleep and our standard hours of daytime.

thehes said...

two more reasons to be glad we are living where we are...spring comes early AND no DST. yippee!!