Friday, January 18, 2013

Playdoh and Meatloaf

So I have a couple of recipes to share...playdoh and meatloaf.  Having four kids of my own and now running a daycare with toddlers and preschoolers, I have tried many homemade playdoh recipes.  I hated all of them and finally decided that Playdoh was just going to have to be one of those things that I paid the money to buy the real deal.  A year or so ago my sister passed on a recipe for it that I hadn't tried.  It took me awhile to even make it.  And I. love. it.  A couple of the kids I watch helped me make up a fresh batch of colors.  The last batch lasted all fall and they play with it almost everyday.  I store it in large ziplock bags but you could also store it in tupperware bowls.  Here is the recipe:
1 Cup flour
1/2 Cup salt
1 T vegetable oil
1 pkg kool-aid mix (to add the color)
1 Cup boiling water
Stir together until thoroughly mixed then kneed until color is throughout.  Let cool and play with it or seal it up for later.

My next recipe is for meatloaf.  I always thought I made a decent meatloaf.  I didn't really follow a recipe.  I did it by texture and feel.  I would occasionally "shake things up" a bit and add different seasonings or flavorings.  I didn't make it very often because my kids did not enjoy it at.all.   I figured, well, it's meatloaf.  Kids don't like meatloaf, right?  Well, then one night I got all crazy and decided to try the Pioneer Woman's recipe for meatloaf.  They LOVED it!  I do make some adjustments now that I make it on a consistent basis.  I don't wrap it in bacon.  I am toying with the idea of frying up some bacon and sprinkling the crispy bits on top.  I also do not make near the amount of sauce that she calls for.  I half the recipe and still don't use quite all of it.  Part of the reason for that is because I only put the sauce on about 2/3 of the loaf as 1/3 of the people in our house don't like the sauce.  All my kids like meatloaf now.  Nathan even suggested that we make Mondays "Meatloaf Mondays" and they all agreed.  Here is the link:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/my-favorite-meatloaf/

No comments: