Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My morning peace

I got up at 5:15 this morning. This is fairly typical for me. I think it is to enjoy some peace before the rest of the family emerges to create chaos. It was great this morning because I joined Joe outside around 6am when he was leaving and enjoyed the peace of a fall morning--cool and crisp. That proved to be probably the last peaceful moment of the morning. Nathan was up at 6:05 needing a diaper change. While I was changing him, he was appropriately saying "Cock-a-doodle-doo" over and over again. At 6:30 I got a shower and was counting myself lucky that I only had to leave the bathroom 4 times to put John and Nathan back in their rooms. We began breakfast at 7. It actually went well until about 7:15 at which time Nathan got bored and decided to put his plate on his head. Did I mention that he had poured his yogurt out onto his plate before he poured it on his head? So I added Nathan's bath to the list of things to do. This was another turning point of the morning. It took one of my girls 45 minutes to eat breakfast and it took the other one 45 minutes to get dressed. It took John about 30 minutes to get dressed. He was fine with the undressing part and did that immediately. But for some reason he had a hard time not getting distracted while he was suppose to be getting dressed.--this included putting the underwear back on. Not really sure why it had to come off to begin with... Finally at 8:10 (we leave at 8:15) I tracked him down, still naked, in the hallway and put his clothes on him. (BTW, most of the time he had been in his room just in case you think I'm running a nudist colony.) All the while we were trying to find some socks. I knew the day would come when we wouldn't be able to find any and it was this morning. I would like to say this all the girls' fault, but I know it reality that I am partly to blame. (I could've sworn that I turned the dryer on last night when I loaded it with wet laundry). Fortunately, we made it to school just in time. Although, on my way to Kroger from the school I had a moment of panic--did I remember to put Nathan in the van??? I looked in the rearview mirror and yes, I had remembered to bring him along--he was shoeless, but at least he was buckled in. And so I am thankful for my peace of the morning that the Lord gave me briefly and that I remembered to bring along Nathan's shoes so they didn't kick us out of Kroger.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

What a morning! :)

Garden Girl said...

What is it with children getting distracted when they are getting dressed? Luke likes to jump around - I think there is some feeling of freedom that takes them off task....hmmmmm....