Tuesday, September 25, 2007

When the going gets tough...

I am potty training my almost 23 month old. I just wrote a note to a friend about it and it cracked me up so I decided to write about it here as well. This is the earliest I've ever tried to potty train a child, but I have caught myself a lot lately saying to Nathan "No, you cannot go to the potty." and then I catch myself saying "Self, what are you saying??!!" I think he has been watching his siblings go too many times. We try to keep a closed door policy in our house, but when you have 4 kids and the oldest is 6 it is difficult to enforce. This is especially true when Nathan sometimes likes to make a grand entrance just to say "hi". The other motivating factor is my sister. My sister has a little boy exactly one month older than my Nathan. He turns 2 on Friday (Happy Birthday, Luke!!!). And, you guessed it, he is almost completely potty trained at this point. Now granted he is a first born and he only has one sibling. But that sibling is still a baby and I figure if my sister can do it, surely, surely this experienced mom who has already potty trained 3 others should be able to do it. (Actually, I probably shouldn't count Sara & Ashley because they were so easy that it could probably be considered that they trained themselves. Someone once asked me about Ashley "How did you do it?"and my answer was "I have no idea!") And so, we are in day two of potty training. It is going well as long as I say "good boy!!" whenever he sits on the potty. He quite frequently reminds me that I need to say it. But you should probably check in with me next week, because my potty training motto seems to be "When the going gets tough, the tough quit potty training and try again later!"

3 comments:

The Bullhorn said...

"Good girl!" (I thought maybe what works for Nathan might also work for you!). Seriously honey, hang in there. We're only a few days or perhaps weeks from not changing any more diapers. Just imagine how glorious that will be!

Much love,

DH

The Rosetto's said...

Well good luck and all that stuff. I wanted to tell you I also had to tell people I had no idea how I trained our first - it just happened. And Joe no kids in diapers seems great, but it means there are no more babies. That is kind of sad:(

Kim said...

Way to go Karen! I went from feeling quite incompetent in this area to still feeling incompetent. However, somewhere along the line Luke figured it out on his own. I'm so very thankful that he did, though! Now, we have to get him to go somewhere else besides our house.