Sunday, May 13, 2007

I wouldn't miss it for the world.


I got to go on my first field trip as a mom on Friday. Sara had been planning it for weeks. Being slightly consumed with life, I didn't really think about it until Thursday at which point Sara informed me that she thought the 1st grade and maybe the entire school was going. The more I started thinking about it, the more I began dreading it. "Why did I volunteer to do this" I kept asking myself? "I need some quality time with her" was my response each time. I kept repeating this as I coated myself in sun lotion (it was to be outside), sprayed myself in bug spray (the teacher thought it would be a good idea) and took my motion sickness pills (the older I get the more carsick I am--I obviously forgot I would be on a bus when I agreed). As we walked to school I adjusted (or at least tried) my attitude about having a good time. We said goodbye to all the siblings and Grandma and Grandpa (who happened to be visiting so I could go) and waited for the first bell to ring. Once the bell rang we trooped inside and prepared to leave. Something almost supernatural occurred inside the classroom--I fell in love with every single one of those kids. Some of them are absolutely dying to just have someone smile at them and pay them a little bit of attention. We had such a great time at the park. We learned about trees, played on the playground (well I just watched during that part) and went for a hike. I even sat in the back of the bus and didn't throw up. I left wishing I could come back tomorrow just to love on them again. I actually think maybe I missed my calling and, perhaps, quite possibly, could have been a decent kindergarten teacher. So will I sign up again when it is field trip time? I wouldn't miss it for the world!

2 comments:

Garden Girl said...

That's awesome Karen! I'm so glad that you got to have a great day despite not being thrilled about the prospect. Do you really think working with children might be your calling...I'm vaguely remembering a conversation we had about children and calling....

Horn herd mom said...

Yes, in the past I have definitely said that children's ministry is not my gifting--and it still might not be. But, as I think about it, this is the first time I have spent significant time with non-preschoolers. So maybe I should say that preschoolers aren't necessarily my thing. Who knows what the future will hold, but God is definitely working in my heart on this area.